Instagram

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bike Ride

This is a pictue of the basket from Cynthia's web site
S and I love to go for bike rides but we always felt guilty about leaving Bella behind.  I searched everywhere for a bike basket that was sturdy and could hold a dog up to 20 lbs. but everyone I talked to said they had never heard of something like that.  Bella is only 16 lbs. but if I could find a basket that could hold a 20 lb dog then there would be no problem holding Bella.  One Saturday S and I were talking about taking the bikes the next day to Wrightsville Beach and riding around, well this is when I kicked my search into high gear.  I typed in bike baskets for dogs up to 20 lbs and up came a list of different web sites.  There was one that really caught my eye so I clicked on it.  Cynthia’s Twigs (www.cynthiastwigs.com) offered a couple types of baskets that were different sizes.  I found one that could hold a dog up to 25 lbs. and I knew that is exactly what I needed.  She also offered pillows, basket covers and other accessories so if anyone is in need or would love to have a nice basket to carry not only your furry family member but it can be used to carry just about anything.  I did order the large basket that fits on the back of the bike, a pillow and a rack to attach to the bike.  The rack did not fit my bike and when I called Cynthia and explained this to her she was more than happy to let me send it back for a refund.  Her web site is awesome, not only are the products great but there are some great tips on how to get the little one ready to be a passenger on your bike.  I followed the suggestions that were on the web site and now every time Bella walks into the garage she sits by the bike, looks up at her basket (yes it is hers) and lets out a little whimper.  My husband and I did not believe it the first time we saw it.  Don’t get me wrong you need to take several little trips in a not so busy area to get you and your passenger used to how everything feels.  I started out just as suggested by letting Bella sit in her basket around the house.


Every time I would put her in the basket I would sit next to her and constantly pet her and tell her what a good girl she was.  I would only let her sit in the basket for a few minutes at a time because I didn’t want her to become scared of it or feel forced.  It only took Bella two days before she was ready to actually sit in the basket while it was on the bike.  I must say I did take my bike to a local bike shop and I had them put a rack on my bike and then attach the basket.  As soon as S and I got it home I was ready to try it out.  I still continued to follow the advice on the web site.  S was on one side of the bike and I was on the other and we walked Bella up and down the street until she felt a little more comfortable riding in the basket and it worked.  The next evening we went for our first bike ride and we have gone a couple other times since then.  So if you do decide to order one of these baskets for the purpose of riding with your pet please take the advise that is given on the web site it will really help you to help your pet become more comfortable. 


She can move around but not too much.  She is in a harness and then it is attached to a harness (you can get this from Cynthia’s web site) that has a ring in the middle and is hooked on each side of the basket.  S and I bought one of those aluminum alloy carabiner that climbers use and we hooked it to the harness she was wearing and then attached it to the loop on the harness that attaches to each side of the basket.  It is really light weight so she doesn’t have something heavy sitting on her neck or back and they are strong.  I strongly suggest making sure your pet is harnessed in because I have talked to several people that told me how their dog or someone they know had a dog that either fell out or jumped out.  I even talked to one person that said their friend ran their dog over.  From what I can tell Bella has no problem being harnessed in and I feel much better about taking her on rides.


Better view of the harness.  Looks like a happy dog to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment