Instagram

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Yoga Teacher Training Pt. 1

Well I have started yoga teacher training! This is something I have wanted to do for many years. I'm still unsure what I plan on doing once I receive my certification. I go through phases, one day I think I want to teach and the next I don't. I know I really enjoy sharing what I know about yoga (I'm realizing I have so much to learn) with people when they ask questions so maybe teaching is my calling, but check back with me tomorrow I could change my mind again. I have come to realize that if I don't know something I get stage fright. Considering I did pageants, modeled and currently have to speak in front of crowds at work, stage fright was not something I thought I would have to concern myself with. Guess I was wrong. We were doing training exercise where we would instruct the other trainees in sun salutations. The first week my heart was racing, I rushed through just to be done with the process. I felt very uncomfortable with the entire situation my voice even took on a different sound. The next week I went in feeling better. I was ready and then the wrench... The group started practicing as they instructed. When it was my turn I was so busy doing my own practice and dealing with a little stage fright that after starting out strong I ended up with a not so strong finish. I learned I can't do the practice and teach it at the same time.   Maybe after I become more comfortable teaching I would be more comfortable practicing while I teach, but I've learned this isn't always best because as an instructor it is your job to make sure the students are doing things properly. On to week three, I felt more confident and I know the more I do it the easier it will become. I just need to build my confidence. I know this stuff, it's the same stuff I've been doing for years. Key word "doing" not "instructing".  I need to stop overthinking everything. At the end of this brilliant journey I may come to realize it is just that, a journey to help me grow in my practice or I may decide I want to teach. Either way it's going to be a great ride and I will keep you posted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment